Program: Online MSM
Ph.D., Marketing, Virginia Tech
MBA, William & Mary
BA, Marketing, James Madison University
Expertise: Customer satisfaction, customer loyalty/retention, sales management, marketing analytics/research, value pricing
Ronald L. Hess is an associate professor of marketing at William & Mary's Raymond A. Mason School of Business. He teaches Marketing Strategy, Customer Experience Management and Business-to-Business Marketing Career Acceleration Module (CAM) courses in the William & Mary EMBA and MBA programs. Previously, he taught courses in Marketing Analytics, Consumer Behavior, Strategy and Sales Management. Prior to his appointment at William & Mary, he spent two years teaching in the MBA and Executive programs at the University of Central Florida. He is a three-time winner of the Outstanding Professor Award at William & Mary's Raymond A. Mason School of Business.
His research expertise and interest involve the customer experience, customer satisfaction, service convenience, privacy, complaint handling, customer loyalty, service technology and customer lifetime value in the retailing and services industries. He has published his research in Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Journal of Retailing, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Service Marketing, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Service Business and Marketing Letters.
Professor Hess has considerable experience in consulting and executive education. He is involved with the Strategic Planning & Management Program (Babson University Executive Education), Strategic Retail Management Program (Intercontinental Group of Department Stores, Switzerland), Retail Strategic Management (Mt. Eliza, Melbourne Business School, Australia), Bunnings (Australia), Bunnings (UK), Officeworks (Australia), Bunnings Commercial Trade (Australia), Abrafarma (Brazil), Blooms The Chemist (Australia), Sogo KL (Kuala Lumpur), Siman (El Salvador), Strategic Planning and Management in Retailing Program (Retail Academy of Singapore), Langley Federal Credit Union, Nike, Cisco, Swisslog, Eaton Corporation, Zeltiq (Allergan), ULab Systems, HintMD, United States Army & Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES), United States Marine Corps Exchange Commands (MCX), United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), Navy Exchange Service Command (NEXCOM), Philip Morris USA, Guidestar, Fabsuite, KBH Business Management Systems, Conference of Minority Transportation Officials (COMTO), WIRED, IdeaWorksHamptonRoads, Greater Williamsburg Chamber & Tourism Alliance, Marketing Research Task Force MRTF, Hampton Roads Cluster Program and Hampton Roads Technology Incubator System.
- Hess, Ronald L. (In Press), "The Impact of Firm Reputation and Failure Severity on Customers' Responses to Service Failures," Journal of Service Marketing.
- Ambrose, Maureen L., Ronald L. Hess, and Shankar Ganesan (2007), "The Relationship Between Justice and Attitudes: An Examination of Justice Effects on Event and System-related Attitudes," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 103, 21-36.
- Hess, Ronald L., Shankar Ganesan, and Noreen M. Klein (2007), "Interactional Service Failures in a Pseudorelationship: The Role of Organizational Attributions," Journal of Retailing: Special Issue on Competing Through Service, 83.
- Hess, Ronald L., Lawrence A. West, and Ronald S. Rubin (2004), "Graphical Information Systems as a Marketing Information Technology," Decision Support Systems, 38 (2), 197-212.
- Hess, Ronald L., Shankar Ganesan and Noreen M. Klein (2003), "Service Failure and Recovery: The Impact of Relationship Factors on Customer Satisfaction," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 31 (Spring), 127-145.