The Online Master's in Marketing
The William & Mary Online Master of Science in Marketing program prepares the next generation of leaders in this dynamic field, instilling deep, far-reaching expertise in the digital tools, technologies and strategies used by forward-thinking marketers across industries. Building on our history of innovation, it is an extension of the long-standing foundation of excellence that places our graduate business programs among the highest-ranked in the nation.
Whether you are looking toward a career pivot into marketing or advancement to upper management and the C-suite, the Online Master’s in Marketing offers everything you need to thrive and lead in today’s rapidly evolving digital world.
What Is a Renaissance Marketer?
The Online Master’s in Marketing creates a new type of marketing leader by cultivating disparate skills in the analytic, strategic and creative facets of marketing.
Renaissance Marketers are not interested in business as usual.
They are adept at the digital and analytics-based skills that drive innovative decision-making. They are capable and fluent in the rapidly evolving technology that defines their profession, and they recognize its role as a catalyst for collaboration and insight.
They are modernizers in a dynamic world and are not bound to the mechanistic rhythms of conventional workflows. Embracing ambiguity and iteration, Renaissance Marketers understand that the best use of time is often nonlinear.
To Renaissance Marketers, no challenge is simply an obstacle to overcome.
They treat even the most difficult problems as opportunities for strategic creativity and inventive brand strategy. They approach their work informed by, but not beholden to, time-tested methods: They balance the wisdom to respect proven processes with the courage to adapt them—or even radically change them—to meet current challenges.
Renaissance Marketers look outward.
They understand that broad collaboration is key to identifying problems and creating solutions. As a result, they act with humility, engage with empathy, and create a culture of respect in which all are challenged to do their best work. They cultivate new ideas by inviting diverse perspectives, engaging in deep immersion, encouraging open debate and treating every idea as a hypothesis to be tested.
Renaissance Marketers make an impact on the problem at hand, the companies for which they work, the market they serve and the world they inhabit.
Are you ready to become a Renaissance Marketer?
Gain the Expertise to Lead as a 21st-Century Marketer
Our graduates are:
- Empowered with leading-edge digital skills and strategic, imaginative vision
- Adept at using analytical tools to drive decision-making
- Fluent in quantitative and qualitative analysis techniques, including conjoint analysis, cluster analysis, and customer lifetime value calculations
Meet the Marketing Challenge
At the core of our Online Master’s in Marketing program lies the Marketing Challenge: the defining, unifying project that you create, refine and build throughout your coursework. To complete it successfully, you must expand your thinking and adopt a broader, strategic view of marketing.
The challenge is an opportunity for you to embrace new ideas and new initiative, and to become a richer asset for your company.
Work starts right away in the foundational Renaissance Marketer course. You’ll start to develop your unique Marketing Challenge, establishing parameters for a project you’ll work on throughout the master's program.
At the beginning of each course, you’ll identify areas of your Marketing Challenge that need development, and the current class’s possible impact on its outcome. At the course’s end, you will update your challenge’s parameters, discuss the course’s impact on it and outline your next steps.
As you grow professionally through work on the Marketing Challenge, you’ll create value for your current business. The challenge gives you occasion to reach out to senior leaders in your company with whom you don’t interact on a daily basis. In meeting with them, you’ll have the chance to demonstrate strategic skill by addressing your challenge’s tactical requirements. You will become adept at collaboration and relationship-building through peer discussions.
William & Mary students have recently created and addressed these Marketing Challenges:
- With podcasting companies focusing predominantly on high-income audiences, how do we create compelling podcast content for an underserved population and connect it to a brand that serves that audience?
- How do we increase referrals from general veterinary practitioners to veterinary neurologists?
- How do we create and market a content creation company for Black men?
Expert Guidance Through an Ever-Changing Field
Study with faculty creators and innovators who have been influential in building nationally and internationally known companies and brands, including:
- American Express
- Best Buy
- Burger King
- Discover Financial
- Domino's Pizza
- Kraft Foods
- Mondelez (Oreo, Chips Ahoy, Velveeta)
- Morgan Stanley
- Old Navy
- Taco Bell
- Turkish Airlines
Jump Start Course
Jump Start Course (0 credits)
BUAD 5207 Renaissance Marketer (4 credits)
Analytics and Insight Courses
BUAD 5217 Analytics for Evaluation and Situation Analysis (4 credits)
BUAD 5247 Analytics for Planning and Optimization (4 credits)
Marketing Innovation Courses
BUAD 5257 Product Management and New Product Development Strategies (4 credits)
BUAD 5267 Market-Driven Innovation Strategy and Management (4 credits)
Modern Integrated Marketing Courses
BUAD 5277 Integrated Campaign Marketing (4 credits)
BUAD 5287 Digital Content Management (4 credits)
Residency Support Course
BUAD 5237 Residency (1 credit)
- To help students better understand and assimilate into the culture of William & Mary and the Mason School of Business
- To teach content that is best learned in a face-to-face environment (e.g., experiential exercises)
- To allow students to make connections with faculty and each other along with an opportunity to create relationships that will endure beyond the end of the program
BUAD 5297 Capstone: Revolutionary Marketing Leadership (4 credits)
Online Master’s in Marketing at a Glance
- Complete in as few as 15 months
- 1 free Jump Start course
- 1 on-campus residency
- 2 opportunities to start per year
Faculty Interview: MSM Program Director Matt Williams
Hear MSM Program Director Matt Williams share his insight into what makes the program unique, how it empowers you to begin applying your learnings to your career from day one, and what impact the degree has on recent graduates' professional roles.
Finding a Common Ground: Residency and the Jump Start Course
Students in the Online Master’s in Marketing program arrive with a diversity of personal and professional backgrounds. That’s why our marketing master’s degree program includes two opportunities to begin building a shared experience with your cohort, both in terms of marketing knowledge and your interpersonal relationships with one another.
The Jump Start Course helps you start well and succeed in the intellectually challenging Online MSM program. It’s comprised of three sections:
- Knowledge Check: a short quiz designed to point out those areas where you might need to brush up on your marketing basics or confirm that you’ve all the knowledge you need to begin the program
- Marketing Principles: Our discipline rests on some timeless ideas. This module includes the core concepts of marketing that you’ll need to understand as you begin the program
- Marketing Math, Finance, and Analytics: More than ever, marketing relies on data and analytics to uncover insights and inspire ideas. These resources ensure you’re up to date on the principles and tools you’ll need to complete the data-oriented areas of the program
For the Residency Weekend, we invite you to make the trip to our beautiful Williamsburg campus to meet your online classmates and faculty face to face for the first time. In addition to bonding and networking over the course of three days, you will complete a one-credit course introducing you to unique aspects of the William & Mary experience and helping develop the interpersonal skills that are essential for any successful marketing leader.
The residency curriculum is structured around three themes:
- Collaboration: Content and exercises designed to capitalize on face-to-face opportunities
- Culture: Experiences to more tightly bind students to the culture of William & Mary and the Raymond A. Mason School of Business
- Connections: Social interactions designed to create relationships between students and faculty that endure beyond the end of the program
Residency Weekends are offered twice per academic year. While we recommend attending the residency weekend nearest to the beginning of your time in the program, doing so is not required.
I want to...
- Retrieved on June 21, 2022, from princetonreview.com/business-school-rankings?rankings=best-professors
- Retrieved on June 21, 2022, from bloomberg.com/business-schools/william-and-mary-mason
- Retrieved on January 20, 2020, from www.bls.gov/ooh/management/advertising-promotions-and-marketing-managers.htm
- Retrieved on January 20, 2020, from ncta.com/whats-new/iot-has-quietly-and-quickly-changed-our-lives
- Retrieved on January 20, 2020, from emarketer.com/content/us-time-spent-with-media-in-2019-has-plateaued-with-digital-making-up-losses-by-old-media
- Retrieved on January 20, 2020, from linkedin.com/pulse/have-we-reached-peak-ad-social-media-ryan-holmes/