W&M Online MSBA Admissions and Application Requirements
Our Online Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) places rigorous emphasis on quantitative skills, including statistics, probability and algebra, as well as business acumen. For this reason, our Online Admissions Team looks for applicants who have demonstrated strong mathematical aptitude and a history of workplace experience. While qualified applicants may come from a variety of academic backgrounds—ranging from computer science and liberal arts to business and economics—their professional and personal achievements should indicate an ability to thrive within and benefit from our robust curriculum.
To qualify for admission, applicants must have:
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university
- Two years of professional work experience OR they must otherwise prove their business acumen
Fall 2022 Application Deadlines
Priority Deadline: June 10, 2022
Final Deadline: July 29, 2022
Online Master of Science in Business Analytics Term Start Date: August 29, 2022
How Can You Prove Business Acumen?
If you are applying to the Online MSBA but do not have at least two years of relevant professional work experience, you have two unique alternatives by which you can prove your business acumen:
- Alternative #1 Successful completion of a prior undergraduate or graduate program in business, or coursework in corporate finance, accounting, marketing and operations
- Alternative #2 Successful completion of the following Coursera.org courses with certification:
- Introduction to Corporate Finance
- Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Introduction to Marketing
- Introduction to Operations Management
Key Steps and Application Requirements
Complete the Online Application
As part of the online application, you will be asked to submit the following:
- Two letters of reference. Please select individuals who can provide specific and relevant information about your intellectual and quantitative abilities, performance and motivation
- One personal essay. At the top of each page, please put your full name and a complete statement of the question being answered. Use a 12-point font and double spacing. We request you limit the essay to approximately 800 words.
Required Essay Prompt: Please explain what has led you to pursue an Online MSBA and why now? Address your commitment to the program and how you plan to apply the MSBA to your career goals.
Optional Personal Statement (250 words): Is there any additional information that you would like to share with the Online Admissions Team that you believe would be helpful in reviewing your application? Complete this question only if you feel your candidacy is not fully represented in your coursework or resume.
Request Official Transcripts
Official academic transcripts from all institutions where you have received a conferred bachelor or graduate degree. These must be sent directly from your institution.
- Electronic official transcripts sent through a secure transcript delivery network are preferred. Transcripts should be sent to William & Mary Graduate School of Business or William & Mary Raymond A. Mason School of Business. If these options are not available when you order, please have them sent to email@example.com.
We also accept hard-copy official transcripts. They must be sent directly from your academic institution or forwarded in a sealed envelope from you (DO NOT OPEN OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS) to the following address:
William & Mary
Raymond A. Mason School of Business
Attn: Center for Online Learning
PO Box 8795
Williamsburg, VA 23187
NOTE: You should upload unofficial transcripts to your application from institutions where you earned a degree and from those where you completed a significant number of credits. William & Mary reserves the right to request transcripts from all universities you have attended for a holistic review of your application. W&M reserves the right to delay passing a decision on your application until official transcripts are received.
Pay Application Fee: $100 (or request a waiver)
The application fee may be waived for applications submitted by the priority deadline, active- duty military and veterans, W&M alumni, attendees of informational webinars, and at the discretion of the Admissions Office. Contact an Admissions Advisor to discuss whether you qualify for a few waiver.
Schedule a Personal Admission Interview
Qualified applicants who have submitted and completed their application will be invited to schedule a personal admission interview. Interviews can be conducted by video conference, telephone, or on campus.
Business analytics is a unique course of study that comes with a few specialty technical requirements. While our online learning management system requires little more than an internet connection, the Online MSBA coursework will demand specific software and hardware features, as professors will utilize a variety of academic materials in varying media formats. Before enrolling in the program, please review the Online MSBA technology requirements to ensure your computer has the functionality necessary to participate and succeed in the program.
Proof of English Language Proficiency (for Non-U.S. Citizens)
International applicants must have a TOEFL score of at least 100 if internet-based, 250 if computer-based or 600 if paper-based, or an IELTS score of at least 7. Exemptions may be granted for applicants who have earned a degree from an accredited U.S. institution or lived and worked full-time in a predominantly English-speaking country for the past two years.
Still Have Questions?
To learn more about application requirements, or if you have questions about whether the Online MSBA is the right program for you, please contact one of our Admissions Advisors at 844-234-4075, or schedule a call at a time that is convenient for you.