Gone are the days of sifting through alphabetized folders in clunky filing cabinets looking for a missing document. Modern businesses process thousands of gigabytes of data every day, and doing so in a way that maximizes the data’s value requires business analytics professionals trained in conducting computerized analysis with lightning-fast organizational systems.
Today’s automated database management systems use complex algorithms to analyze and sort data accurately from multiple sources. Some of the most common databases available today include IBM DB2, Oracle and MySQL, but there are many, many more. In fact, with the vast amount of data formats and coding languages available, some businesses are finding it difficult to pinpoint the most efficient one for them.
Read about the benefits the best NewSQL databases provide to companies in every industry today, and consider how mastering them can give you a competitive advantage as a business analyst and help you solve your most complex business challenges.
What is a NewSQL Database?
For many years, businesses have been using relational databases (RDBs) in combination with Structured Query Language (SQL) to manage their data. This involves organizing datasets by tables, records and columns and using SQL to manage how the data is processed.1
However, as data requirements exploded in the 21st century, the old RDB system became increasingly inefficient and a new system called NoSQL was introduced. While this system provides greater flexibility than its predecessors, it still struggles with scalability and performance when faced with today’s voluminous datasets. This has prompted the creation of NewSQL.2
NewSQL databases aim to improve upon these flaws by reincorporating some relational database features and combining them with the benefits of NoSQL. By using the modern data structure of NoSQL but maintaining the ACID (atomicity, consistency, isolation and durability) guarantees of RDBs, NewSQL offers the best of both worlds.3
Some Key Features of NewSQL Databases
- Database replication
- Secondary indexes
- Concurrency control
- Crash recovery
Advantages of NewSQL
- Maintains ACID guarantees
- Support for SQL analytics and extensions
- High availability
- Horizontal scaling
Disadvantages of NewSQL
- Not standardized
- Not as fit for general-purpose
- Lacks full SQL functionality4
The Best NewSQL Databases
NewSQL is an exciting technology that is available in a growing number of formats. The best NewSQL databases available today are versatile and powerful tools that are carefully crafted to meet your business needs.
Founded in 2009, VoltDB has recently emerged as one of the leading NewSQL players in the burgeoning in-memory database market. It supports multiple languages, including Python, Java, PHP and C++.5
With ACID guarantees, sharding and data replication, VoltDB is designed to work mainly with OLTP queries and is available as both an open-source and commercial program. It uses deterministic concurrency control and a global serial order controller for sharded transactions that span multiple partitions.6
With automatic fault tolerance and a system designed to keep multiple data copies, ClustrixDB is a database that offers excellent peace of mind. Founded in 2006 and recently acquired by MariaDB, Clustrix is compatible with MySQL and uses multi-version concurrency control (MVCC) with two-phase locking for input conflict resolution.
Clustrix offers several advantages over popular cloud-based database servers like AWS, specifically powerful failover and fault-tolerance features plus the ability to scale and perform beyond 1TB. The cluster-based cloud platform offers several additional benefits, including online schema changes, linear scalability and online expansion.7
Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts, NuoDB has been widely adopted by leading FinTech firms. In November 2020 it was acquired by French 3D design firm Dassault Systèmes® for the provision of scalable, multi-cloud distributed SQL database solutions.8
Dassault Systèmes® uses NuoDB to manage their global database of online 3D parts manufacturers and clients, connecting engineers with designers from around the world.9
CockroachDB, designed and built by Cockroach Labs, is a highly versatile NewSQL database used by a wide range of well-known brands, including JPMorgan Chase, Cisco and Best Buy. Its ability to easily connect to cloud-based cluster tools like Kubernetes makes CockroachDB a powerful tool for organizational automation.
Developed by ex-Google employees, CoackroachDB takes inspiration from Spanner, using a similar open-source distributed SQL database with horizontal scaling built on a highly consistent transactional layer.10
5. VMware Tanzu GemFire
Previously known as Pivotal Gemfire XC, this NewSQL database was acquired by VMware and rebranded as VMware Tanzu GemFire in 2019. Gemfire is a multi-tiered, geo-distributed, clustered cloud database that provides high flexibility, scalability and performance. Gemfire's in-memory, horizontally scalable architecture is a key feature that separates it from other NewSQL DBs by providing predictable low latency even in times of peak access.11
Stand-out features of Gemfire XC include:
- Elastic scaling that dynamically rebalances partitions
- Instant event reactions from real-time notifications
- Resilient 'shared-nothing' architecture that ensures high availability
- Frictionless multiple language support for .NET and Node.js12
Become a NewSQL Database Expert at William & Mary
Data analysis is a critical tool for organizations worldwide, and demand for a business analytics skill set will continue to explode in the coming years. The ability to quickly and accurately process data can spell the difference between success and failure for a business, so database management is crucial.
If you’re ready to excel in this area, consider earning the Online Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) from William and Mary, a renowned “Public Ivy” institution. Learn more about the hands-on capstone course with which the Online MSBA culminates and consider how the skills you’ll showcase in completing it can transform your career.
- Retrieved on April 30, 2021, from techopedia.com/definition/1234/relational-database-rdb
- Retrieved on April 30, 2021, from aws.amazon.com/nosql/
- Retrieved on April 30, 2021, from predictiveanalyticstoday.com/newsql-databases/
- Retrieved on April 30, 2021, from dataconomy.com/2015/08/sql-vs-nosql-vs-newsql-finding-the-right-solution/
- Retrieved on April 30, 2021, from neighborwebsj.com/uncategorized/6133401/in-memory-database-market-global-analysis-2021-2028-amazon-web-services-altibase-corporation-mcobject-llc-microsoft-corporation-voltdb-and-many-more/
- Retrieved on April 30, 2021, from predictiveanalyticstoday.com/voltdb/
- Retrieved on April 30, 2021, from mariadb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Whitepaper-DatabaseScaleWithoutLimitsonAWS.pdf
- Retrieved on April 30, 2021, from businesswire.com/news/home/20201124006027/en/Dassault-Syst%C3%A8mes-Announces-the-Acquisition-of-NuoDB-a-Cloud-Native-Distributed-SQL-Database-Leader
- Retrieved on April 30, 2021, from 3ds.com/3dexperience/marketplace
- Retrieved on April 30, 2021, from infoworld.com/article/3244138/cockroachdb-review-a-scale-out-sql-database-built-for-survival.html
- Retrieved on April 30, 2021, from predictiveanalyticstoday.com/pivotal-gemfire-xd/
- Retrieved on April 30, 2021, from tanzu.vmware.com/gemfire